Friday, August 13, 2010

Welcome To Our Nook

When my husband and I had our first child we both agreed that reading books from the start was something that we both wanted to give as a gift to our baby.  That agreement carried over to our second child and both have been read to since the very beginning of their lives.  Something I'm proud to brag about and can already see how it's influenced our children's LOVE of reading. 

Books have ALWAYS been important in our lives.  My husband's favorite childhood book is The Little Fur Family.  Mine is a little known book called Mandy

My Great Aunt was the head librarian at The Boston Public Library for years.  She would ALWAYS bring me books to read.  Classics like Heidi, The Five Little Peppers And How They Grew, Little Women, The Indian in The Cupboard, and The Trumpet of the Swan.

I have been inspired to set up this blog for a number of reasons.  First and foremost, to share my families (both in our house and our extended family's) intense love of reading.  To share fabulous literature that we find with all of our friends and readers that may come along to visit us here.  To encourage others to be as passionate about reading and reading to their children as we are.  

Just as a note:  These are our personal views.  I am in no way claiming to be a professional educator in anyway, my opinions are just that.  If you don't like what I recommend or say...that's cool.  Just know that this is a place for positive energy, vibes and love.

With that, I'd like to take you on a tour of what we call our Book Nook.  It's a space I set up for my children in their playroom last winter.  It's taken different forms but I think, for now, it's going to stay as it is until our children get a bit older.

Our Comfy Chair - it seats my 2 munchkins and I...all snuggly and warm.

Warm light from great reading lamp plus the year round white Christmas Lights make it a cozy place to be!
Soft pillows and blankets make it so inviting
Come and snuggle!!
My children love the bright colors! (pillows picked up at HomeGoods!!!)
They also work well for silly pillow fights ;)

The favorite Book Nook Toy
Our "Stacks" - we like to use library lingo =)



We are blessed to have such generous family and friends who give AMAZING books for birthday and holiday gifts as well as my super fabulous Cousin Jodi who passes down ALL of her boys books that they've out grown!!  I was also an Usborne Rep for a while so I was able to receive MANY unbelievable books during that time.

I hope you have enjoyed my tour of Our Book Nook.

My next post will introduce you to one of my newest favorite children's book!!!

Stay Tuned!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Meredith! What an amazing book room! Wish my house had a room like that. Such a wonderful idea to start a blog on books. I don't have a particularly favorite book, but I have always enjoyed the Mother Goose nursery rhymes. Olivia loves reading them too. Her favorites right now are Olivia (the 6 3/4 year old pig), anything Dora the Explorer and the Peek A Boo books. Will definitely be following...hope you and your family are doing well.

    Hugs, Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat comfy spot, Meredith. :)
    We love our public library, but we also have a huge library of children's books. :) We have read to her every night too...it would just feel so wrong to go to bed without a story. LOL

    My mom did the same for us until I was 12. Then I read my own. :)

    What a great way to foster a sense of love for learning and reading...no greater skill can you pass along to your kiddos. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us some love and good thoughts!!!